Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Spicy Baked Chickpeas

When I saw this recipe of the Food Network, I knew I was destined to try it. I'm a sucker for recipes that take under 5 minutes to prepare. It livens up boring canned chickpeas and fills your kitchen with delicious aromas for little to no effort. This is an excellent vegetarian power snack or side dish. I would like to see how many different spices would work with this. The possibilities are endless, seriously!! I'm not exaggerating at all!!!

For this recipe, make sure the chickpeas are dried completely before they are coated in the oil/spice mixture. This will result in a crunchier outside. Rolling them around in a kitchen towel (as suggested in the recipe is a great idea. For this recipe I decided to increase the spices a little bit for some extra flavor and they came out really well. For myself, I use 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne because I like the heat. However, If your not a fan, use 1/8 teaspoon.

Make the oil and spice mixture
Boring canned chickpeas
Toss chickpeas in oil and spices
More exciting canned chickpeas
Goes nicely with a salad for a healthy lunch/dinner
Spicy Baked Chickpeas
Adapted from: Claire Robinson

2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 heaping teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
1 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
Scant 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Fine sea salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Rinse and drain the chickpeas and dry by rolling them around in a kitchen towel. Combine the oil, paprika cumin, cayenne and salt in a large bowl. Add chickpeas and toss to coat evenly. Transfer the chickpeas to a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread them out in a single layer. Bake until golden and crispy, 25 to 35 minutes, shaking the tray to toss after 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the chickpeas to a serving bowl.

1 comment: